THE latest of a group of Melbourne nightclub bouncers has been sentenced over the stabbing of a man in the CBD last year.
Ahmet Sekar, 28, of Thomastown, pleaded guilty in Victoria’s County Court on 26 February to assisting a fellow CQ nightclub guard try to avoid prosecution for a serious indictable offence.
Sekar helped wash blood from the hands of head bouncer Remzi Orcanoglu shortly after Orcanoglu had stabbed the victim multiple times in Queen Street before dawn on Friday, 3 April 2015.
The victim, Cinar Peker, was found by an ambulance breathing, his consciousness impaired and having lost large amounts of blood. His stab wounds included a 10-centimetre gash to the back of his head, as well as to his abdomen and arms.
His blood pressure was “dangerously low”; he required “massive” blood transfusions and surgery to close his many wounds, Judge Gavan Meredith said during sentencing.
The judge noted a medical expert’s opinion that Mr Peker’s injuries may well have been fatal without emergency treatment.
In sentencing, Judge Meredith said Orcanoglu and Mr Peker had earlier been in a 30-second verbal altercation across the road from the nightclub, which had closed for the night.
Mr Peker swung a knife at Orcanoglu and other bouncers, then was pursued towards the intersection of Collins and Queen streets.
The victim was tackled and brought down on tram tracks by Orcanoglu, and stabbed several times to his upper body and head.
Mr Peker was carried and dropped onto a footpath. He was kicked to the face and body several times by other bouncers.
One of the bouncers stole a phone from a bystander filming the attack, the court heard.
The victim was left in an alcove in Little Collins Street. Sekar brought water bottles to Orcanoglu who poured their contents over Mr Peker.
Soon afterwards, Sekar used the bottles to wash blood from Orcanoglu’s hands.
In a police interview on 14 April, Sekar declined to comment on the incident.
Charges of affray and recklessly causing injury against Sekar were dropped prior to sentencing.
Judge Meredith said Sekar argued he was unaware of the full extent of Mr Peker’s injuries though “observing what you did, it must have been apparent that (Mr Peker) must have been in a bad way.”
Sekar argued that events evolved rapidly and he did not prpoperly comprehend what happened.
Judge Meredith said the accused could have left the scene and not been involved in the after-hours chase.
The judge noted the since remorseful Sekar had no prior convictions, his family had no known criminal history and there was good rehabilitative prospects.
The accused now works as a truckie since his crowd-controller licence was cancelled after the incident. He may reapply subject to passing a good character test.
Orcanoglu had been jailed six months and put on a two-year corrections order including 250 hours of unpaid work for recklessly causing injury.
Other co-accuseds received lengthy corrections and work orders of up to 300 hours for charges including affray, intentionally causing injury and robbery.
In noting Sekar should receive “like for like”, Judge Meredith meted out a 12-month corrections order, with conviction and 100 hours work.
He said the offending was too serious for a fine without conviction, as Sekar’s lawyer had submitted.